Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Woman who turned my hobby into obsession.

The Woman who turned my hobby into obsession.

Since my childhood, dance has been my hobby. I used to give stage performances achieved great applause from audiences and I was happy with it. My only dream was to be a lawyer, Fighting for justice. I wanted to speak for those who are unable to fight for their justice. Then one day came when I got admission in a law college, that is my alma mater S.K.A.I.L. From there my journey begins not only as a lawyer but also as a dancer. Sounds strange?...........

 For this LL.B course I had to leave my hometown to Kalyani a very small city nearby Kolkata. There also I wanted to continue with my dance classes but could not find any suitable one. Most of the times I with my friends used to hire dvds for watching movies during our leisure hours.One day there only I found a CD named " Nacho Nataraj" of Kathak.  I could not resist myself from buying it. The very next day I bought it and started practicing watching it. On the cover of the CD it was written by "Alokparna". The woman's gestures, looks, movements all were perfectly blended in accordance with Taal. Throughout the performance she did not miss a step as if communication was going on between her body and  soul. I became so fan of her that I searched her in net and I found her website, where I even got her contact no. Just then something clicked on my mind to continue my dance classes under her. I called and got her appointment for my dance classes.

My first day meeting with her.

It was 3rd March when I first met her. A tall, slender very fair woman in a grey saree with red border, wet open hair standing in balcony called me " Sabarnee come in". Her appearance seemed to me as an angel. Then my class begins. 
 She taught me all the mudras of Kathak, movements of hands firmly and toes beats while showing these it seemed to me as if she is weaving magic with her toes. I imbibe in myself each and every steps she showed to me.

My classes begins.

Gradually I came  to know about her accolades and conferences she has attended in and outside India.

  • Concert in Canden Centre,London,U.K.
  • Concert  by South Asian Cultural Society, Essex.
  • Concert arranged by I.C.C.R. & Birla Academy of Art & Culture.
  • Uday Shankar Dance Festival.
  • Swarn Nritya Prtibha Festival by Sangeet Natak Academy.
  •   In the region of Kathak dance Alokparna has come to stay.-The Asian Age. 
  •     Her vivacious nature was evident in her footwork.-The Hindustan Times.
  • All these were published in newspapers. And there were many.
 These were the things that attracted me the most, gradually day by day I was attracted towards her way of teaching and tried to imbibe the style in me. This is how dance turned into my obsession and hardly now a moment pass when I am not dancing. The woman who turned my hobby into my obsession is my Gurumaa "Alokparna Guha".

No comments:

Post a Comment